Wednesday, September 25, 2013

P90X Review by Devin Sherrington


I get asked about P90X all the time, what I think of it and whether I think it's a good workout.

P90X is the training program created by Tony Horton. It's a very hard, 12 week program, which will kick your ass, plain and simple. It's not easy and I'm sure Horton made it hard on purpose. But is it good?

I don't really think P90X is for the average person. First off it's six days a week, at least an hour a day. If you do that you're going to get in better shape no question, but you're also going to get over-trained in no time.

That's the problem I have with P90X. I tried it out and I got over trained toward the end, and I work out all the time. I have since I was 14. I'm used to difficult workouts. My body has adapted to having a lot of stresses put on it, and can handle a fair amount. Plus it's my job to be in shape. But it wore me down.

For someone who has never worked out, or only doesn't workout super hard, P90X is going to kill you plain and simple. There's no other way to say it. You will get over trained and burned out.

But, if you use a little common sense and and take a few more days off, shorten some of the workouts etc, then it could be positive for you. Horton has some great exercises in there, and uses numerous functional fitness movements which promote overall fitness. Plus you can do it with minimal exercise equipment, which is good.

So if you are up for a huge challenge and want to really push, P90X could be good.  But remember it will burn you out overt time.

Devin Sherrington is a master personal fitness trainer and owner of 360fit in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. He lives in Fletchers Lake with his children Reign and Journey.

Click here for a FREE week of fitness!

No comments:

Post a Comment