Monday, August 12, 2013

360fit - Why I Love Lunges


People often ask me why I like lunges so much. They are the staple for me in many of workouts. The reason is I've yet to find something harder on my legs.

I love lunges because they are just plain hard. When you do a lunge all your weight is on your front foot, basically in a one leg squat. You have to lift your entire weight on that one leg, while moving through space. It's not like a squat which is on 2D. A lunge has you moving in space so it adds to the exercise.

Plus lunges are something which work more than just your legs. A lunge will work legs, plus your butt and core too since you have to balance the entire time you do them. And if you want to add a little weight to the equation, more power to you. It just makes the lunge that much better.

Just make sure you take a long enough step. The important thing to remember is that your knee never gets out over your toe on the front leg. If you do that, you can do lunges no problem. Just ask my client Theresa who has a knee issue and rocked lunges this weekend!

Give lunges a try and you'll see your overall fitness go through the roof, plus you'll get some great legs doing it too.

Happy lunging.

Devin Sherrington is a master personal trainer and owner of 360fit in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. He lives in Fletcher's Lake with his children Reign and Journey. 

Sign up here for a FREE week of fitness!

No comments:

Post a Comment