Wednesday, August 7, 2013
360fit - How To Read Labels
Ever wonder what to look for when you look at that label on your food?There's a lot on there and can look a little confusing. But there are a few simple things to keep an eye out for.
First look at the portion size at the top. This is the first place the food company will try to trick you. If the portion size is silly (like seven chips and you know you'll eat three times that) then they are trying to pull a fast one. They made the portion smaller than it really is so they can lower the amounts of everything else.
Next take a look at those calories. I'm not a calorie counter but if this is high (say 300 or more) and you're not going to be filled up afterward, then skip it. Good examples of this are soft drinks. Lots of calories and no nutritional values. You want good calories that will fill you, not garbage ones which leave you hungry.
When you get to fat, the big one to look for is trans fat. You shouldn't eat any. It's like glue in your veins and it'll make you die. It's that simple. There is no healthy amount.
And if they say "trans fat free" but there is still trans fat believe it's there. Companies are allowed to have .2 g of trans fat in a serving and still call it "trans fat free". But any trans fat is no good!
Next look at the carb amount and how much of it is sugar. In some things you will see sugar but it's from fruits, but most times it's garbage table sugar and that will make you fat. If it has sugar then take a look down in the ingredients list. The rule of thumb is that if sugar is in the first three or four ingredients you don't want to buy it.
But they like to trick you by call it things like fructose, glucose, dextrose, galactose, lactose, maltose, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, honey, maple syrup etc. They have lots of names for sugar and each is aimed at making sure you eat it. Look carefully.
And the last thing you want to keep an eye out for in the ingredients list is hydrogenated fat. They only do that to make it last longer on the shelf. And if it lasts a long time on the shelf, it'll last longer in you too. Nothing with the word hydrogenated in it should go in your mouth. Any is too much.
If you get used to reading those labels you'll soon find that about 80 percent of the grocery store isn't good for you at all. But have no fear. The other 20 percent is great. Happy reading.
Sign up for a FREE week of classes here!